Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Because Every Mother Deserves A Mother's Day

Max's birth story is not something I normally talk about, besides jokingly refrerring to how stunned the nurses were at the sheer size of his head, 99th percentile anyone?

One of the first things I remember after Max was born was how it seemed like an eternity until he took a first breath. My husband assures me it took him less then a few seconds but I just remember the sheer terror I felt that he might not be ok and my husband on the other remembers how scared he was that I might not make it.

For you see, I had the stuff of legend. Max's 99th percentile head combined with a fast labour meant I suffered the mythological 4th degree tear whispered about in prenatal class in hushed tones never to be mentioned again. (FYI, DO NOT google image 4th degree tear. Trust me, you will thank me later)

As the plastic surgeon was hurriedly called and sewed up the remnants of my lady bits. I was blissfully unaware of how dire the situation could have been if not for the amazing Canadian Health Care System. But you see, my mother did, as she was in the room as she watched her 20 year old sister die after giving birth at home to a large baby. She still cries when she talks about it to this day as I give thanks to living ion the 21st century where this doesn't happen right?

WRONG. Did you know that;

  • There is one maternal death every 90 seconds today?
  • 15% of all pregnancies result in complications during labor and delivery and sometimes are fatal?
  • For every woman who dies in childbirth, 20 more suffer from debilitating complications. Which also means that several complications go uncounted and lives are forever impacted?
  • We have the knowledge to prevent 90% of all maternal deaths?

While we have the knowledge, what we don't have is the money or do we? For you see, $14.6 billion* was spent on Mother’s Day presents last year in the U.S. alone "celebrating" mother's day.

So how can you help? Every Mother Counts is an organization Christy Turlington started after her own home birth went not as she had hoped or planned. The documentary will air on the Oprah Winfrey Network on May 7th at 9:30–11 p.m. (ET/PT). The organization works with maternal deaths and supports moms in several countries.

Join the Mom4Moms movement and visit http://www.facebook.com/HaveMomentum to learn how to donate money, time, even your old cell phones can help give a mom access needed health care services that can keep her and her baby alive.

Because brunches just add to our love handles, and flowers just die. Every mother deserves a Mother's day. Let's make sure she is around to celebrate it.





2 comments:

  1. I know what a 4th degree tear is. I remember from prenatal class. You poor lady. I hope you got jewellery and an inflatable donut. thank goodness we live where the are is good and immediate. Too many women suffer through complications and even worse when they don't have the resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fatty liver ayurveda treatment fatty liver ayurveda treatment
    fatty liver ayurveda treatment

    Here is my homepage ... home treatment fatty liver

    ReplyDelete